Article 14 is one of my favorite Midtown spots for a cocktail and an evening bite. I’ve dined at the place half a dozen times, but have rarely ordered anything other than the Kale Yeah salad, simply because it’s so delicious. During a recent meal, I branched out and found many other reasons to love the place…
- Cocktails: Article 14 has a menu full of fun and unique cocktails. The zesty melon cooler was right up my alley – vodka, watermelon, lime, and red pepper flakes. It was subtle, not too sweet, and a little spicy from the red pepper.
2. Lobstah: The lobster roll special made me feel like I was dining on the coast of Maine. The lobster was served chilled with diced celery, and piled into a toasty bun. Although the sauce looks a bit heavy, it was actually light and zesty.
3. BWD: The bacon-wrapped dates are a staple at Article 14. The sweet dates were wrapped in a slice of thick-cut and crispy bacon, and topped with a drizzle of aged balsamic.
4. Deviled eggs: I’m not normally big on deviled eggs, but Article 14’s version struck my fancy. Instead of mayo, the yolks were whipped with goat cheese, and sprinkled with crispy prosciutto and scallions. They goat cheese made them tangier, creamier, and so much more delicious than the regular version.
5. & 6. Peaches & Prosciutto: We had to get in an order of the grilled local peaches before they disappear for the next 9 months. The juicy peach slices were wrapped in prosciutto and grilled with just the right amount of char and glaze from the saba sauce. I wouldn’t want to have peaches any other way.
7. Tomatoes: The heirloom tomato salad was the best I’ve had all summer. The dish was vibrant, beautiful, and flavorful. The colorful heirlooms were perfectly salted and drizzled with EVOO. And then there was that delicate (and also perfectly seasoned) piece of burrata on top.
8. & 9. Kale + Bacon: Even though I was branching out, I couldn’t possibly go without a bite of the kale yeah salad. Article 14 has somehow managed to turn kale into bacon. The smoky bacon vinaigrette is seriously addicting. I could eat it all day long.
10. The burger was too tasty-looking to pass on a bite. The double beef patty was perfectly medium rare, topped with aged white cheddar, and served on a challah bun. With a pickle on top. Mouthwatering.
11. Lemon Tart: I wasn’t really hungry for dessert, but had to at least try a few bites of the chocolate lava cake. You know, for research purposes. The cake was disappointingly overcooked, and definitely lacking in the lava department. Had it been cooked more like the moist and fluffy lemon tart, I might have had more than a few bites.
12, 13, & 14. The 3 S’s (service, speed, seasonal): The service was excellent, and I don’t think we waited more than a few minutes in between courses. I really enjoyed exploring Article 14’s menu, and the chef did an excellent job highlighting so many seasonal ingredients. I can’t wait to see what’s in store for fall, I hear bacon-flavored kale is in.