If you’re constantly asking yourself this question for every restaurant-selection decision you ever make, this page is for you! I’ve attempted to provide some guidance when it comes to selecting an occasion-appropriate restaurant for every situation you can possibly think of.
(Okay, so every situation might be a stretch, but feel free to comment and let me know if I’ve missed anything major!)
- Ormsby’s – let out your competitive side with bocce, pool, darts, etc.
- The Painted Pin – because who doesn’t love upscale bowling
First Date – I haven’t been on one of these in a while, but that doesn’t mean I’m not aware of the need to find a delicate balance between not too fancy (you don’t want to look desperate to impress) and not too cheap (hopefully this part is self explanatory)
- JCT Kitchen
- South City Kitchen
- Krog Bar – for those who aren’t quite ready to commit to a full meal, just do drinks and apps
“I’m Sorry” Date – a more cost-efficient way than jewelry to apologize (thankfully, I haven’t been on one of these in a while either)
Bromantic Date – Bros, booze, and burgers (not that I’m generalizing here or anything)
- The Vortex – they serve a $29 triple coronary bypass burger. Enough said.
- Fox Brothers – BBQ & Bros
- Local Three – for the classy gents. They’ve got more than 50 bourbons to share.
Girl’s Night Out – cocktails + cocktails, the perfect recipe for any successful girl’s night
- Two Urban Licks
- Max’s Wine Dive – “fried chicken and champagne…why the hell not”
- Mi Cocina – go for the skinny margs & spicy guac
Guy’s Night Out – obviously I’m not a dude, but I have my sources…
Parents are Visiting Town (and Dad’s footing the bill)
- Think of the most expensive restaurant you’ve been wanting to try and make a reservation there
I Haven’t Had a Good Steak in a Few Weeks
Screw Food, I Just Want to:
- Drink (heavily)
- Watch the game (and also drink heavily)
My Dining Companion is a:
- Wine snob who will only be impressed by an extensive wine selection
- Craft beer snob, the thought of consuming a bud light makes his/her skin crawl
- Self-proclaimed “mixologist”
Help, I’m Hungover
- There are a zillion and one “burger boutiques” in Atlanta, choose one of them
- Kaleidoscope Bistro – for only $12 you can delay the inevitable with bottomless mimosas
It’s Really Nice Outside aka I want to Day Drink on a Patio
Give me a Delicious Sandwich or Give me Death
Pizza is the Only Thing that will Make me Happy Right Now
Who says you can’t get fresh seafood in Atlanta?
I’m depressed about my lack of vacation days and want to pretend I’m traveling abroad in:
- Mexico – for taco & guac lovers only
- The Mediterranean
- Ireland – there’s more to this place than just Guinness
Girls Just Wanna Have Brunch
- The Nook – The Bloody Best: a boozy meal in a 32 oz glass
- Einstein’s – The patio brunch + $7.50 bloody mary bar
- Article 14 – The classy brunch. Oh, and bottomless mimosas too.
The World is Your Oyster
- Kimball House – $1 oyster HH. Can’t beat it
- The Optimist – enjoy the revolving selection at the oyster bar
- Fontaine’s Oyster House
Dessert > Dinner
- Murphy’s – the Tollhouse Pie is a choco chip cookie lover’s dream
- Highland Bakery – their double chocolate cookie is big enough to share. Or to keep for yourself.
- Jeni’s Westside Provisions – the ice cream really is splendid.
I Prefer Watching People over Sports – sit back with a cocktail in hand & enjoy the swanky scenery
- The St. Regis Bar – leave your jorts & flip flops at home if you want to make it past the velvet rope
On Wednesdays, We Drink Wine – how about a little hump day treat?
- Park Tavern – 1/2 price wine bottles on Wednesdays.
- One Midtown Kitchen – when the going gets tough, there’s always bottomless wine. Every day.
Ford Fry is my Culinary Idol – he gets his own category, because his food is that good.
All sarcasm aside, this list is essentially an extension of my ATL FAVES list…check back often because it is sure to grow!